Friday, March 13, 2009

Timeless Advice for Men


I'm all about likening the scriptures unto myself, frequently finding great advice from the past.

For example, take this advice:

"And again I say unto you, my friends, for from henceforth I shall call you friends, it is expedient that I give unto you this commandment, that ye become even as my friends in days when I was with them, traveling to preach the gospel in my power;

For I suffered them not to have purse or scrip, neither two coats.

Therefore, let no man among you, for this commandment is unto all the faithful who are called of God in the church unto the ministry, from this hour take purse or scrip, that goeth forth to proclaim this gospel of the kingdom." - D&C 84:77-78, 86

I can only imagine the humiliation that countless of men were saved from by following this advice, whereas otherwise they may have had to put up with all sorts of juvenile jeers like, "Hey, look at that dude carrying a purse!" and "Hey, Mr. Missionary, is that your Momma's purse?" or even, "Hey, dork - what's up with the two coats?"

As far as the scrips go, that seems to be taking it a bit too far. Or, maybe it's a good chance to meet some local doctors.

Again, thank goodness for timeless, inspired advice.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Bishop Young,

    Once again you have touched my heartstrings. When I was preparing for my mission I had the strongest desire to take my purse and my scrips (prescription drugs, I am ADHD) but got along quite well without them. My companions were thankful I didn't bring the purse but weren't quite as tolerant when I was asking them gospel questions at 3 o'clock in the morning.

    PS--Still wondering about the powerpoint presentations in F&T meetings and wondering if you might have an opening on your softball team. Thanks.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. PP in F&T - we'll have to discuss per the no-visual aids memo from the Brethren.

    Softball team - tryouts are in early April. Low-bar requirements - 3.8sec 40, and placing your hits with 80% accuracy.

    Bishop Young

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if we could still carry fanny packs, or does that fall under the purse category?

    ReplyDelete